Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day 10 – Jake’s Egg Pizza

Jake does not like to eat leafy greens. He calls it grass. What can I say, he’s only two!

We’ve tried them steamed, sautéed and in stir-fries with no success. He usual picks them out and pushes them off his plate. If they do manage to get into his mouth “accidentally,” he spits them out and declares: “Yuck Moooommyy! I no like grass!”

One day, while making my extra healthy quiche, I carefully hid some of those leafy green suckers in between the crust and the eggs. Imagine my surprise when Jake gobbled the whole thing up! He even asked me for another piece of “Egg Pizza!”

Ever since, “Jake’s Egg Pizza” has become a staple in our family’s repertoire. I don't even need to hide the greens anymmore.

Note: The crust that I usually make a flourless with sweet potatoes, sesame seeds and ground flax seeds, but depending on the ingredients and the time you have I’ve included a link for a spelt flour crust.


Jake's Egg Pizza
Crust:

1 cups of grated sweet potato (I have also done it with a half cup each of potato and carrot with good results)
1 cup ground sesame seeds
½ cup ground flax seeds
1 Tbsp coconut oil (you can also use olive oil)
1 fresh garlic glove
Parsley or basil (I like to use fresh, but dried will work nicely too)
Salt to taste


Filling:

6-8 eggs beaten
¼ to ½ cup milk (almond, rice or soya milk works just fine)
Fresh spinach greens, chopped onions, peppers and fresh basil (optional)
Variation: Fresh spinach, chopped carrot, zucchini, mushroom, onion and fresh parsley (optional)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°C.  Process all ingredients for the crust in a food processor. Grease pie plate. Press mixture into pie plate. Bake the crust for about 30 minutes or until sides start to become a little brown. Remove from oven.

Line crust with spinach. Add other chopped veggies and fresh herbs.

Beat eggs. Pour in milk and add salt. Pour egg mixture into crust over the greens and chopped veggies.


Place in oven for another 30 minutes or until eggs are completely cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment