Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

Day 8 - Tea Cakes Please!

I’m no masterchef. I’m not even a person that enjoys cooking that much. But, I do end up cooking quite a bit because I don’t like pre-prepared food and I like to know exactly what goes into what I’m feeding my family. I try as much as possible not to use things like refined sugar, butter and white flour.

Here is a great recipe I found (and modified slightly) in the Alive magazine for tea cakes!

Hope you like them!


Almond Tea Cakes

2 ¼ cup almond flour
¾ cup kamut or spelt flour
½ cup honey
1 ½ tps baking powder
½ cup applesauce
3 Tbsp coconut oil (replaces butter)
6 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
Dollop of blueberry jam on top

Variations – fresh blueberries, grated apples with cinnamon, raspberries.

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease muffin pan (coconut oil is my preference).

Mix together almond flour, spelt/kamut flour, and baking powder. Stir in honey, applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer until soft peaks form (about 4 min). Fold egg whites into mixture.

Fill each muffin cup half full. Add a dollop of jam.

Bake for 20 min or until edges are slightly brown.

Makes about 12 cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment